Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Mexican landslide rescue efforts resume

Rescue efforts have resumed for 11 people missing after a huge hillside collapsed on a town in Mexico as a landslide in a neighbouring state killed 16 people.

The government delivered blankets and other supplies to survivors and other who fled their unstable homes for fear of more mudslides in Santa Maria de Tlahuitoltepec. Many sheltered under makeshift tents on the hills.

The landslide in the rain-soaked southern state of Oaxaca early on Tuesday caused nationwide alarm after local authorities initially said hundreds could be dead in the remote town, which had been blocked off by slides and a washed-out bridge.

But hours later, when rescue workers finally reached the community, only 11 people were missing and none confirmed dead.

Heavy rains are hitting much of Mexico’s south. In neighbouring Chiapas state, 16 people were killed and 13 injured yesterday by a landslide in Amatan.

The chief of the Chiapas state civil protection emergency response agency, Salvador Cervantes, said the victims were buried when earth slid down a hill on to their homes.

In the Oaxaca slide, rains and unstable soil forced police and firefighters to suspend the rescue efforts for hours. The search resumed with picks, shovels and a bulldozer in the river of mud and stones that swept down the hillside.

Among the missing were the town’s chief health officer, his pregnant wife and their two teenage daughters, mayor Antonio Martinez said.

The area was battered by the remnants of a hurricane one week and a tropical storm the next.

Oaxaca governor Ulises Ruiz initially told a Mexico City television station he had received reports that 300 homes were buried, with as many as 1,000 people inside.

But the estimates of casualties were gradually lowered during the day and yesterday the governor confirmed that only 11 people were missing. Martinez said 10 houses were buried.

As they waited for police and firefighters, residents used diggers and other rudimentary tools to find their neighbours, but made little progress. They said most of the homes were completely covered and no voices could be heard within.

The US government offered to pay for a team of Mexican rescuers to travel to the site.

Oaxaca state’s civil protection operations co-ordinator Luis Marin said the state had seen three days of intense rain. The state government warned residents south of the city of Oaxaca of flooding from overflowing rivers and opened shelters in other parts of the state.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.