The United States government has said it will seek bids to design and build several prototype wall structures for President Trump’s mega project across the border with Mexico next week.
Around 200 construction and engineering firms have already signalled interest in the project, according to American online news site CityLab.
There had been speculation that Hochtief might be in the bidding, but it has released a statement saying it has no plans to take part in the project.
A formal invitation for bids is going out on March 6.
Procurement will be in two phases, the first giving bidders until only 10 March to submit concept papers and designs for their plans. Shortlisted bidders will be invited to submit full proposals by March 24, which will include the bidders’ price for the work. It is anticipated multiple contract winners will be named mid-April.
A US Customs & Border Protection Office spokesperson told New Civil Engineer: “The primary purpose of this effort is to develop design standards for a border wall that may be constructed along the southwest border with Mexico in support of United States border patrol operational requirements.
“Any and all prototypes will be designed to deter illegal entry into the United States.”
03/03 - Article updated to reflect Hochtief statement