Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Where are they now?

Rail

LEEDS

Leeds' Supertram is the priority scheme in the West Yorkshire 2001-2006 Local Transport Plan.

In March this year, the government promised to provide 75% of the project's overall £500M capital cost. The remaining 25% will be provided by the scheme's promoter Metro (West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Authority), Leeds City Council and the eventual concession winner.

Supertram will provide a 28km light rail network with around 50 stops on three routes connecting with the city centre. A shortlist of consortia to be invited to tender for the design, build, finance and operate concession is expected early next year for a 2004 construction start.

NOTTINGHAM

Work has begun on the civil engineering of Line One of the Nottingham Express Transit (NET), which is expected to start running services in autumn 2003. While utilities are diverted to make way for track laying operations, promoter Greater Nottingham Rapid Transit is reviewing options for possible extensions to Clifton and West Bridgford to the south and Beeston, west of Nottingham.

Line One is being built by a Carillion/ Bombardier joint venture for 30 year concession holder Arrow, which consists of Carillion, tram builder Bombardier, operator Transdev and Nottingham City Transport. The 14km route will combine some street running with use of existing rail corridor to link the city centre with Hucknall to the north. Capital cost is estimated at £200M, of which around £170M is provided by central government.

PORTSMOUTH

Construction of the South Hampshire Rapid Transit (SHRT) system, which is expected to start in 2003, will include a 700m immersed tube tunnel beneath the entrance to Portsmouth harbour.

This will be part of a single 14km light rail line connecting Portsmouth to Gosport and Fareham. This year the government agreed to provide around one half of the estimated £190M 2006 outturn cost needed to build SHRT. Joint promoters Hampshire County Council and Portsmouth City Council have signed an agreement with Partnerships UK, the government's PPP body, to assist with the concession procurement process.

Invitation to tender is expected before the year end.

MANCHESTER

Four consortia have been shorlisted for the Manchester Metrolink Phase III design, build, finance and operate concession for three new lines to Oldham, Rochdale, Manchester Airport and Ashton-under-Lyne. Tenders have been submitted by GMRT (Amec, Bombardier, First Group), Greater Manchester Tramways (Stagecoach, Alstom, Mowlem, Nuttall, Virgin), Maintram (Bechtel, Amey, Group 4, MTR, Semaly) and Manchester Tram Company (Serco, SNC Lavalin). Concession award for the £600M project, around £200M of which will come from the winner, is expected next year.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.