Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

What the papers say News stand

Reuters

An Australian man built up a 40,000 volt charge of static electricity in his clothes as he walked. Frank Clewer was wearing a nylon jacket over a woollen shirt. As the charge went to earth it ignited the carpet of a department store in Warmambool, Victoria, forcing fire-fi ghters to evacuate the store.

Electrical engineers said the charge was almost great enough to have caused Clewer's clothes to spontaneously combust.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.