A major overhaul of West Ealing station in London has been given the go ahead.
Ealing Council approved proposals designed by Bennetts Associates for a number of improvements to the station ahead of Crossrail.
Works will include:
- Building a glass and steel ticket hall on Manor Road
- Construction of a footbridge with lifts to provide step-free access to every platform
- Creation of a bay platform for trains on the Greenford branch line
- Platform extensions so the station can accommodate the 200m long Crossrail trains
- New lighting, customer information screens, station signage, help points and CCTV
Crossrail surface director Matthew White said: “The new ticket hall, footbridge and lifts will transform passengers’ experience of using West Ealing station.
“Once Crossrail opens fully in 2019, local people will be able to travel right through the centre of the capital making it quicker and easier to get to a range of destinations across London and the South East.”
Work will start to construct the new station from spring 2016 and take about a year to complete.