Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Water palaver

To deal with private sewers, HG Longlands suggests that all pipework outside the property boundary should be maintained by the statutory undertaking (NCE letters 28 March). This, he suggests, would match the clean water legislation.

Please do not perpetuate this common misunderstanding.

Statutory water undertakings are responsible only for pipework within the highway curtilage. Often this is the same as the property boundary. But if your property is not adjacent to the highway the distinction is very important.

If new legislation is proposed, it will need to be quite clear about pipes under third party or common land.

David L Walker (M), d. l. walker@btinternet. com

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.

Related Jobs