Wales was this week under threat from continued flooding as a 58-year-old man’s body was recovered from floodwaters near Llandrillo, north Wales on Sunday.
The Environment Agency said river levels were still rising in some areas as NCE went to press. It said 28 areas were at risk of flooding, not only in Wales but also in parts of the Midlands and the north of England.
“The band of rain is moving north so we are keeping a close eye on the Midlands, Lancashire, Cumbria and the Lake District,” said an Agency spokesman.
The Agency also warned that the heavy rain could also cause further localised surface water flooding.
In north Wales, A Denbighshire County Council spokesman said it was too soon to tell whether there had been any serious damage to infrastructure. Many roads and railways in the region remained underwater as NCE went to press.
Temporary flood barriers
Over the weekend, Agency teams activated temporary flood barriers in Shrewsbury.
It also pumped flood water from Plas Deveon and Almere in north Wales. The Agency also increased water storage at Llyn Tegid.
“The River Severn tends to peak after rain and there is a risk of flooding,” said an Agency spokesman.
Defences were also in operation at Bangor on Dee and the Lower Dee valley in Wales.
The floods came just as work was due to begin on a new culvert as part of the £5M Denbigh Flood Relief Management Scheme in north Wales.
Coastal and flood consultant Martin Wright Associates managing director Martin Wright said the scheme focuses on community engagement and exhibitions to encourages residents to take their own protective measures against flood risk.