Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Volley Ball


I refer to the letter from Roger Ball (NCE last week). What he fails to point out is that the ICE Health & Safety Register is only available to professional engineers - CEng or IEng - or equivalent with a minimum of 10 years in the construction industry.

The Notes for Guidance state that it is intended for 'those individuals (not organisations or companies) who actively engage in or advise on health and safety'. Am I correct in thinking from this that the Register is intended primarily for those professionals for whom health and safety matters form the majority of their workload, rather than those of us for whom it is an integral part of the workload?

The ICE Register is no substitute for the much simpler CSCS health and safety test, because the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) does not recognise it as an exempting qualification and it is unavailable to anyone with less than 10 years in construction.

If Mr Ball wishes to see the Register more widely accepted, a good starting point would be to obtain recognition from the CITB.

RP Wilson (F), 56, Swan Mews, Swan Road, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13 6TU

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.