Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Video | St Albans 'sinkhole' latest

Experts are continuing to use specialist monitoring equipment at the site of the ‘sinkhole’ in St Albans to test for any further movement.

A large hole opened up in the residential street of Fontmell Close overnight on Thursday 1 October.

Engineers subsequently pumped in  535m3 - 48 lorry loads - of foamed concrete over four days to fill the hole to within 1m of the surface.

Following on from this work, Hertfordshire County Council said geotechnical underground surveys of the surrounding road and footway would continue and the next steps would be for the utility companies to make permanent repairs ahead of the road being resurfaced. However it is unclear at this point in time how long that that process could take.

It is also still unclear what caused the hole to appear in the first place, although the council said there were a number of disused clay workings in the area which may be responsible for the collapse.

Richard Thake, cabinet member for community safety at Hertfordshire County Council, said: “All agencies are continuing to work together to get residents back to their homes as soon as it is safe to do so. Our priority remains to ensure the safety of residents in the area, to minimise disruption and to resolve the situation as soon as possible.”

The council said that so far the response operation had cost an estimated £100,000 across all the agencies involved.

The area around the hole is still cordoned off, but electricity, water, sewerage and telephone services have been restored to the majority of the 50 or so homes affected in Fontmell Close and Bridle Close.

Some of the closest houses to the site are still without services.

The council has urged the public not to visit the site as only approved contractor and emergency access to the site is possible.

Hertfordshire County Council released this footage of the sinkhole being filled with concrete

 

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.