NCE has been to see the project to upgrade and increase capacity at London’s Bond Street station.
A Costain Skanska joint venture is radically transforming the London Underground station, and extensive tunnelling and excavation work is currently taking place in preparation for the arrival of Crossrail.
More than 186,000 passengers currently use the station every day - and numbers will increase to over 220,000 when Crossrail arrives.
In the video, director of the Crossrail stations programme Miles Ashley explains how the project will double the amount of space available to passengers trying to access the Jubilee Line from the station.
Other improvements that the station is set to benefit from include:
- A new entrance and gateline on Marylebone Lane, on the north side of Oxford Street
- New escalators serving the Jubilee line
- Lifts to provide step-free access from street to all platforms
- 30% more capacity, plus more passageways to reduce journey times
- Improved interchange between the Central and Jubilee lines
The ‘new’ Bond Street station is set to be fully complete and operational by 2017.