Three British projects won prizes at the Bentley Be Inspired infrastructure awards last week in Charlotte, North Carolina
Edge Structures’ Wimbledon Centre Court redevelopment and retractable roof won for innovation in structural engineering.
Mott MacDonald won in the communicating through visualization category for its Model Railway 3D design and modelling project.
Worcester Library and History Centre − with ventilated roof designed by Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios − won for innovation in generative design.
Speaking at the awards symposium, Bentley CEO Greg Bentley admitted it had been “a hard year” for infrastructure providers.
“Each is benchmark-setting, accomplished through innovative information modelling technology.”
Greg Bentley, Bentley CEO
“Stimulus can’t be hurting, it’s got to be helping, but we are not doing as well across the profession as we were,” said Bentley. Bentley called the nominated projects “outstanding”. “Each is benchmark-setting, accomplished through innovative information modelling technology and best practices,” he said.
Winners in 17 categories were selected from more than 250 nominations by a panel of Bentley users and industry experts.
Additional special recognition awards went to Perth’s North Rankin Redevelopment Project for attaining return on innovation; the Adelaide Desalination Project for sustaining our society; Nebraska’s Antelope Valley for sustaining our environment and to Parsons Brinckerhoff for sustaining the professions.
The Be Inspired Awards celebrate infrastructure projects using Bentley software solutions. More than 50 nominated finalists gathered in Charlotte to present their projects.
John Westmuckett, detailed structural design coordinator for the Wimbledon project and Director of Westmuckett Hawkes Ltd, said he was “absolutely thrilled” to win. “It was a fantastic project to work on,” he said.
Richard Priest, Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios’ Architectural Software Engineer, said: “We are very pleased to have won. This award shows how we make effective use of advanced computational geometry within the design process.”
- Innovation in Bridges WSP Finland Ltd — Ngyuen Van Troi-Tran Thi Ly Bridge
- Innovation in Building NBBJ — Miami Valley Hospital
- Innovation in Cadastre and Land Development KASL Consulting Engineers — Metro Fire Station No. 29
- Innovation in Campuses, Airports, and Military Installations CH2M HILL — Phase 1: O’Hare Modernization Program
- Innovation in Communications Networks Precision Contracting Services, Inc. — City of Port St. Lucie Fiber Optic Network Design
- Innovation in Mining and Metals Hatch Africa (Pty) Ltd — QMM Ilmenite Project
- Innovation in Oil and Gas Cianbro Constructors — Motiva Crude Expansion Project
- Innovation in Power Generation Energoprojekt Gliwice, S.A. — Central Solar PS20
- Innovation in Rail and Transit Parsons Brinckerhoff — Central Phoenix/East Valley Light Rail System
- Innovation in Roads Creighton Manning Engineering, LLP — Route 85 Slingerlands Bypass Extension
- Innovation in Utilities HuntsvilleUtilities — An Integrated Implementation of ProjectWise, Bentley Expert Designer, and SAP
- Innovation in Water or Wastewater Treatment Plants CDM — Casa Grande Water Recovery and Reuse Project
- Innovation in Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater Networks Government of Maharashtra, Water Supply and Sanitation Department — Crisis Management of Water Supply in Developing Countries
- Communicating Through Visualization Mott MacDonald Ltd — The Model Railway
- Connecting Project Teams Engevix Engenharia S.A. — Hydropower Plant Coqueiros
- Innovation in Generative Design Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios LLP — Worcester Library and History Centre
- Innovation in Structural Engineering Edge Structures Ltd — Wimbledon Centre Court Redevelopment and Retractable Roof
- Special Recognition Awards
- Special recognition: Attaining Return on Innovation The North Rankin Redevelopment Project
- Special recognition: Sustaining our Society Adelaide Desalination Project
- Special recognition: Sustaining our Environment Antelope Valley
- Special recognition: Sustaining the Professions Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Educator of the Year Earl Mark, Ph.D. University of Virginia