Conservative leader David Cameron has revealed his blue-green charter, setting out how environmental plans can both strengthen the economy and help tackle the rising cost of living. Listen to his speech to environmental leaders here.
The speech includes pledges to:
• Encourage business, industry and innovators to develop green products and services such as hydrogen fuel cell and battery powered cars
• Use green taxes to change behaviour, not just raise revenue - and use these tax increases to fund tax cuts for families
• Increase our energy security by moving away from imported oil and gas and increasing domestic renewable energy
• Improve energy efficiency by ensuring smart meters are installed in every home
• Tackle the problems of road congestion and poor train services, which will help both the environment and the economy
David also criticised the Government's approach to Heathrow airport, stating that the priority should be is making it better, not bigger.