Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more


Thursday 7 July, 8.50am Three bombs explode within about 50 seconds of each other at three different locations on the London Underground network. Transport for London (TfL) initially suspects a derailment and power surge.

9.15am All trains on the network are stopped as TfL goes into emergency mode, known as 'Code Amber'.

Station staff instruct passengers to stay on platforms until told that conditions outside are safe and that the incident does not involve chemical, biological or nuclear substances.

9.47am A bomb located on the top floor of a double decker bus explodes in Tavistock Square near Euston Station.

10am Tube passengers evacuated to street level by emergency response teams.

Engineers enter Circle and Piccadilly Line tunnels to check structural integrity at blast sites.

12pm Forensic Teams enter the sites. Police investigations begin.

Thursday 9 July Tubelines rebuild and response team starts planning recovery Saturday 9 July Eight trains in tunnel between Russell Square and Green Park are driven out. Police investigation continues Sunday 17 July Four carriages are separated from bombed carriages and moved into station area for a detailed engineering inspection. They are then pulled to Cockfosters depot by battery locomotive Saturday 23 July Damaged carriages are moved to the platform at King's Cross to allow further detailed forensic testing of the track and tunnel by SO13 Monday 25 July Two bombed carriages are moved to Acton depot Tuesday 26 July Police hand back site having completed forensic investigations. Medical cleaning starts Thursday 28 July Cleaning completed. Engineering assessments carried out Recovery work starts Monday 1 August Remediation work complete including assurance and static testing Tuesday 2 August Dynamic testing using a battery powered locomotive. Site returned to London Underground by Tubelines Wednesday 3 August London Underground returns all trains to their correct depots or sidings Thursday 4 August Full service resumes

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.