Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Sutton - sustainable suburb?

Many countries are developing sustainability 'cities'. China has Dongtan, Abu Dhabi has Masdar, and now the UK has Hackbridge, Sutton.

All this week, people who live and work in the area will try to design the 'sustainable suburb'.

Sutton Council will be examining how to become a zero-carbon, zero-waste suburb by 2025. The aim is to recycle 70% of waste and treat the remaining 30%.

They plan to use rain water to help manage water use, and stop the drought-flood cycle.

Sutton Council Leader Cllr Sean Brennan said, "People living and working in the area are true champions of the environment and it is their ideas, their energy and their enthusiasm that will help transform Hackbridge and ultimately Sutton, into the UK’s first zero-carbon sustainable suburb."

"With the BedZed development, this area has long been a showcase for green living and Hackbridge Week is an opportunity for the community to decide how we make Hackbridge a better place for everyone. We intend to be blaze a trail of sustainable living for others to follow."

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.