Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Stub wall collapse kills two boys

THE COLLAPSE of a wall less than 1m high killed two boys aged 11 and 15 in Kent on Tuesday.

Police and local authority engineers were still baffled by the collapse as NCE went to press. The wall, around 900mm high and 2m long by 600mm thick, formed part of a derelict agricultural complex currently earmarked for development.

According to local reports, the site, in Kemsley near Sittingbourne, was a popular play area for local children. A spokeswoman for Swale Borough Council said it appeared that wire netting had been draped between the wall and nearby trees to create a 'den'. The two boys who died had been inside with a companion.

Ownership of the land was still unclear on Tuesday evening. The Swale Council spokeswoman said it could belong either to property development company Rexam or to the local housing association.

In a statement Rexam said: 'It is not clear at the moment whether Rexam owns the land on which the accident occurred. Our priority now is to establish ownership of the land. If Rexam is the freeholder we shall establish where responsibility for security and maintenance lies.'

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.