Southern Railway has commissioned Aecom to project manage the construction phase of the National Station Improvement Programme (NSIP) schemes at Balham, East Grinstead and Norbury Stations, in London and the South East.
The core objective of the NSIP schemes is to achieve a noticeable and lasting improvement in the environment at stations for the benefit of passengers.
Works at Balham, London, include the provision of a new gated secondary entrance on the south side of the station, underpass repair and redecoration, new cycle facilities and the remodelling of the booking hall resulting in improved access to ticket office and refurbishment of passenger circulation areas.
The construction phase will commence early April 2011 for completion by October 2011.
Construction work at the remaining two sites will start later this year and will deliver the following improvements:
- new modular station building
- improved operational accommodation
- new gateline
- height-adjustable ticket office windows
- increased cycle facilities
- new platform waiting shelters
- improved retail unit.
- ticket-hall refurbishment and provision of height-adjustable ticket office window
- platform waiting-room refurbishment.