Commissioning authority: Surrey County Council
Principal designer: Scott Wilson
Principal contractor: Carillion
The Tilford Bridges project successfully combined the restoration of a 13th-century bridge – a scheduled monument – with the construction of a new bridge alongside. The scheme not only achieved visual harmony but also balanced considerable environmental demands.
By combining traditional trades and techniques for the restoration of the old bridge with modern processes to construct the new bridge, the designer and contractor achieved considerable sympathy between the new and the old.
The new bridge was built to replace a temporary structure erected by the British Army's 55 Division Royal Engineers in 1941. Despite its traditional appearance, this structure has a precast-concrete beam deck, which avoided the need for difficult soffit formwork.
Piers were faced with ironstone, and the use of timber parapets and minimal signage and street furniture also helped the new bridge to sit in harmony with its ancient partner.
Other innovations included the use of a boss-and-bolt parapet support system which will allow economic repairs and replacement after potential vehicle damage. The project also employed extensive recycling of demolition materials and made a point
of drawing materials from sustainable sources.
Client Surrey County Council was delighted with the result and gave the project 10 out of 10 for satisfaction with the finished product.
Entries: 15; Shortlist: 5
Keadby to Amcotts Bank Stabilisation Scheme, Lincs
Victoria Footbridge, Hereford
Portslade Flood Protection Project, East Sussex
Tilford Bridges, Surrey
Promenade of Light, London EC1
For a civil engineering scheme valued at under £3 million. Sponsored by Civils 2007.