AN HISTORIC Second World War bridge lying derelict and dismantled in a French lorry park is to be taken back to the scene of its former glory and restored by the Royal Engineers.
The Pegasus Bridge on the Caen canal in Normandy was captured by the Allied forces in one of the first acts of the 1944 D-Day landings. After years of neglect it will now be the centrepiece of a memorial and museum just metres from its original site.
Royal Engineers will remove a 400t concrete counter balance from a steel box on one side of the 40m span steel girder lifting bridge. It will then be moved in four segments to its new site 800m away.
Planning permission to rebuild the bridge has just been granted after a five year application by the Parachute Regiment and local councils in Normandy. The £650,000 cost of building has been raised by local councils, but the Airbourne Assault Normandy Trust is calling on British firms to raise a further £400,000 to equip the museum.Work on the bridge is expected to start in the next few weeks. Companies interested in sponsoring the museum should contact: Airborne Assault Normandy Trust, Parachute Regiment Headquarters, Browning Barracks, Aldershot, Hants GU11 2BU.