In 1910 the hotel’s south façade was extended outwards by 2.5m using an arrangement of steel roof trusses and hangers. This created larger rooms and the UK’s first hotel with en suite bathrooms but also meant that large sections of the Savoy’s original façade walls had to be retained from within the rooms.
As part of the current works to remodel and upgrade the rooms, the remaining load-bearing intrusions into the rooms had to be removed. To do this, contractor Chorus Group jacked the façade and trusses onto a temporary frame while the existing masonry walls and columns were removed, before they were lowered onto new steel columns.
Structural engineer for the £100M refurbishment project is Buro Happold. The architect is Reardon Smith.