ICE PRESIDENT Roger Sainsbury was warmly welcomed to the Glasgow & West of Scotland association but had to brave cold weather
on a site visit to the M6 DBFO scheme at Beattock.
Brave it he did to hear about the 230M project to extend the M6 from Carlisle northward towards Glasgow and was even treated to a history lesson.
Following presentations about the 229M scheme run by the concession Autolink - a consortium of Amey, Sir Robert McAlpine and Taylor Woodrow - Sainsbury visited historic sites such as Telford's toll house where tolls where collected in the early 19th century on what was then the principal road between Glasgow and Carlisle. Sainsbury heard how current owner of the toll house, Norman Miller researched the history of the forerunner of the M74 and M6 motorways.
An 1815 application made to parliament for road improvements to the Glasgow-Carlisle road, were found in an antique shop in Manchester. The plans showed that the improvements would cost 76,000.
Back in Glasgow, the President attended the Glasgow & West of Scotland annual dinner. Before 820 members and their guests he was treated to chairman Jim McCafferty's address to the haggis in the traditional manner.