Anti-roads protestors last week halted work on the £94M Bexhill to Hastings link road in East Sussex.
They occupied woodland being cleared for initial construction work.
The action is the latest setback for the project, whose costs have increased by £4.5M as a result of efforts to tackle legal action and site occupations.
East Sussex County Council said it was determined that work on the 5.6km long road will go ahead at the start of the New Year.
It said that the protestors have exhausted the legal procedures open to them including an application for a judicial review in the summer that was turned down by the High Court.
Even so dozens of anti-road protestors from a group called the Combe Haven Defenders forced a halt to work last Friday, some by chaining themselves to trees.
Crews from joint venture contractor Hochtief-Vinci/Taylor Woodrow returned on Saturday and Sunday and felled trees in areas of woodland along the route.
Protestors argue that the scheme will destroy the picturesque Combe Haven valley and argue that the authorities have failed to consider alternatives.
The council said there was no basis for further objection adding that central government has also backed the scheme contributing £56M towards the overall cost in April this year.
An East Sussex County Council spokesman said it was working with police and security firms to allow the work “to go ahead safely”.
Council leader Peter Jones told NCE that “the argument has already been exhaustively debated”.
He said the road was “absolutely crucial” for regenerating an economy which is “the most deprived in the South East”.