Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Proposals for single member qualification

To be a member - MICE IEng or MICE CEng If you are at the start of your career, you may be a graduate member. This is how you become a member and may then use the title incorporated civil engineer or chartered civil engineer and register at the Engineering Council as IEng (incorporated engineer) or CEng (chartered engineer). You will be entitled to do this automatically once you have passed the ICE Incorporated or Chartered Professional Review.

It will also be possible to add a matching section to a three year BEng(Hons) and proceed directly to CPR.

A matching section is one year's further learning spread over three years part time study. After six years of high quality experience and professional development it will be possible to transfer smoothly from IPR to CPR - CEng to IEng. The nature of the IPR and CRP in regard to quality of experience, interview and written assignments will be different so as to reflect the two sets of professional characteristics.

Professional characteristics Incorporated Civil Engineer - IEng:

develop a good level of experience in a particular field exercise technical judgement in the use of engineering principles apply established analytical or design techniques in solving problems manage human, material, plant or financial resources deal with contractual, economic, safety or environmental issues Professional characteristics Chartered Civil Engineer - CEng exercise professional judgement apply innovation, creativity and resourcefulness in solving problems develop analytical or design concepts or methods of implementation lead inter-disciplinary teams including technological or commercial specialists manage complex projects commercially, technologically or organisationally To maintain and improve these skills throughout your career, you will manage and update your own Continuing Professional Development.

But at the time of qualification, it must be evident that you possess, and are capable of developing, these skills - although it will be recognised that you have had little time in which to demonstrate them extensively.

For the majority of candidates, the route to qualification is in three stages:

Educational base Incorporated Civil Engineer - IEng Either successful completion of an accredited three year BEng degree or equivalent;

or successful completion of an accredited three year BSc degree or equivalent;

or successful completion of an accredited HND programme plus further learning as defined in ICE 2005 Chartered Civil Engineer - CEng Either successful completion of an accredited four year MEng degree or equivalent;

or successful completion of an accredited three year BEng(Hons) degree or equivalent; plus some further learning as defined in ICE 20052.

Initial Professional Development Preferably enter into a training agreement with your employer, who should be on the ICE Training Index naming a Supervising Civil Engineer.

The TA consists of three years' experience logged in short quarterly reports, each signed by your employer's Supervising Civil Engineer or his/her Delegated Engineer.

During that time, you will have recorded your achievement of the 23 Core Objectives laid out in ICE 2011/2 or the following alternative:

In recognition of the diversity of careers related to civil engineering, you may show how you have achieved each of 15 of the COs, coupled with a different eight Specific Objectives agreed with your SCE to suit your career.

Also during that same time, you will have planned, completed, recorded and evaluated at least 15 IEng days or 30 days CEng of CPD, which will consist of a range of training activities relevant to your career, which may also count towards the further learning, and laid out as a Personal Development Record as in ICE 2008.

The Professional Review (Incorporated or Chartered) Although the procedure outlined below is similar for both IEng and CEng, the content and nature of the report, discussion and a written assignment will be different so as to reflect the two sets of professional characteristics given.

Write a 2,000 word report of your training and experience indicating lessons learned.

Write a 4,000 word report of your most rewarding project(s) indicating your personal role.

The purpose of these reports is to show how you have progressed toward the professional characteristics listed in the introduction.

Attend the Review which consists of:

15 minute presentation of your project report using limited desktop visual aids 60 minute wide ranging discussion commencing with your submitted material 120 minute IEng written assignment on one of two subjects based on your experience 120 minute CEng written assignment on one of two subjects based on your experience together with a related societal, professional or managerial issue

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.