Connect Plus has halted planned repair works on the M25 in the wake of the pothole fiasco that closed part of the London orbital motorway for almost 24 hours last week
The contractor – a consortium of Atkins, Balfour Beatty, Egis Road Operation UK and Skanska – will not carry out certain activities on the road until an investigation into the incident has been completed.
Connect Plus said a section of the M25 surface failed to set correctly following planned overnight maintenance on Thursday 13 November.
Tens of holes appeared in the surface on Friday morning, damaging cars and closing three lanes of the busy motorway at rush hour.
The Highways Agency was unable to fully re-open all lanes of the motorway between junctions 9 and 8 until the early hours of Saturday morning.
Connect Plus said in a statement: “Safety is a top priority for Connect Plus.
“We are continuing our full investigation into what happened on the anti-clockwise M25 near Leatherhead on Friday morning.
“We know that a section of the carriageway failed to set properly following planning overnight maintenance. Similar planned repairs have been stopped while investigations into the cause of the failure are continuing.”