LACK OF contractor interest has forced California to extend the bid period for the controversial 'missing link' of the $5.95bn Oakland Bay Bridge.
California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) said the original bid deadline of 1 February had been extended 'at the request of contractors'.
Caltrans is desperate to receive at least two bids after a bidding closed in 2004.
Then, the only bid received was for nearly twice the client's estimate of $705M.
Caltrans considered abandoning the original design, involving a complex self anchored suspension span with a single steel tower (NCEI October 2004).
But after months of political wrangling it was decided that cost and time pressures meant that rebidding the original design was the most effective option.
California's governor Arnold Schwarzenegger personally lobied Chinese contractors to bid for the project during a visit to China in November last year.
Spanish contractors are also said to have expressed interest.
Caltrans said on Tuesday: 'We have done as much as possible to improve bidding conditions for all bidders.
'The bidding is open to foreign competition. It is unknown at this time whether China will submit a bid.'