The Northern Ticket Hall at King’s Cross St. Pancras Underground Station opened today.
Located to the west of King’s Cross mainline station and to the north of the Great Northern Hotel, the 2000m2 significantly increases station capacity and provides a major boost to passenger movement between mainline services at King’s Cross and St Pancras International stations and the London Underground network.
It will also play a vital role in the transfer of passengers during London 2012.
As well as creating the new ticket hall, 300m of new tunnels were dug to link the ticket hall with the Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria line platforms.
Ten new escalators and five lifts were installed to provide step-free access to the Victoria and Piccadilly Tube lines from the ticket hall (a lift to the Northern line will be installed by mid 2010).
The new ticket hall is part of the wider £800M redevelopment of King’s Cross St. Pancras Underground station
- Client: London Underground
- Project Management: Atkins / Balfour Beatty Management
- Principal Contractor: Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering Ltd
- Contractor’s consultant: Capita Symonds
- Tunnelling: Morgan Bemo JV
- Designer: Arup
- Architect: Allies and Morrison