Investment in young engineers, innovation and the use technology to improve projects are among the factors which make leading NCE100 companies
Companies to watch/Editor’s Choice Award Winner: Weston Williamson
The NCE100 is awash with hidden gems; firms that are well worth watching for demonstrably investing in core areas such as apprentices and graduate recruitment.
Others stand out as excelling in being gender diverse and ethnic minority employers; still more are ahead of the curve when it comes to investing in technology and research and development.
We have singled out eight.
- Byrne Bros. Formwork for leading the way as a diverse employer
- Danaher & Walsh Group for outstanding staff retention
- Flint & Neill for leading the field in investment in R&D as a percentage of turnover. Collaborative, dedicated and talented is how it describes its ethos. It is certainly one to watch
- JPP Consulting for growth through graduate recruitment
- Pick Everard for having the greatest gender balance
- Rendel for being the most globally focused by percentage of fees earned
- Walters UK for leading the way in investment in technology as a percentage of turnover
- Weston Williamson for investment in future skills as a percentage of turnover
It’s a really outstanding bunch, all exceptional in different way. But our winner - the firm that stands out with the most “watch out” attributes is Weston Williamson.
Yes, it’s an architectural practice but it devotes almost all its energies to infrastructure.
And it’s instructive that no firm gets close to it for the investment it makes (as a percentage of turnover) in student bursaries, apprentices, and working with schools.
It’s also significantly above average when it comes to employing women and ethnic minorities and investment in research and development as a percentage of turnover.
Clients’ Choice Award Winner: Skanska
The over-arching aim of the NCE100 is to identify the 100 best firms to work for as an engineer; the firms that are helping engineers become better engineers so that our industry can best deliver for our clients and for society.
This ethos has run through our assessment process and to make sure we arrived at the right conclusion our judging panel has been stacked with clients – 12 in total.
And it would have been remiss not to take the opportunity to ask these clients for their choice of the best firm. So we asked our client judges to select up to five firms that, either through their own experiences or through meeting their representatives during the judging process, struck them as firms they would like to see more of and hear more about.
The firm with the most mentions, and therefore our Clients’ Choice Company of the Year, is Skanska.
Driving the technology agenda, Skanska is lead partner in an industry-wide collaboration to expand the use of automation in construction and also to expand the use of 3D printing in concrete.
It is also leading implementation teams covering the use of visualisation technology within a building information modelling environment to reduce risk, increase productivity, and deliver without defects and with reduced waste.
NCE100 | Company to Watch Award/Clients Choice Awards