6 facts about... Mike Llywelyn-Jones, Gromtmij & Going places
1 Mike Llywelyn-Jones joined Grontmij in May as strategic business director within the transportation management team at the consultant.
2 He is responsible for building and managing client relationships, leading business development and bids for major projects and overseeing delivery of strategic transportation projects.
3 He is an expert in highway geometry and has written national highway design standards, including the Republic of Ireland road link design standard NRA TD9.
4 He was a participant in the Highways Agency’s Industry Advisory Group that formulated the rules for CAT3 and was also a member of the initial audit team commissioned by the Highways Agency to assess value for money on Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) projects.
5 He previously worked for Faber Maunsell, where he held various transportation roles for 15 years, including national highway engineering director and project director on the M4/M5 Climbing Lanes ECI project.
6 He enjoys watching rugby in his spare time and is a supporter of the Welsh team.
- Galliford Try has promoted Andrew Richards to managing director of Galliford Try Investments. Richards, who has been deputy managing director for the past two years, will replace Alan Flood who is retiring.
- Birse Rail, a Balfour Beatty company, has appointed James Pollitt as recruitment manager. Pollitt joins the company from Mouchel Parkman where he held the position of graduate recruitment manager.
- Faber Maunsell AECOM has appointed two new members to its business development team.
Charles Roach joins from Black Country Investment as director for the Midlands region with responsibility for strategic business development. Phil Beale, previously of PTS Consulting, is the newly appointed regional director responsible for business development within Faber Maunsell’s Birmingham Buildings division.
- Ramboll Whitbybird has appointed two directors to its newly opened Cardiff office. Steve Appleton joins after 12 years with Quadrant Consulting. At Ramboll Whitbybird he will manage the structural engineering section and develop the business in the region. Richard Hird joins as regional director from Waterman, where he held the role of divisional director. He has over 30 years experience in the industry and his principal role will be to lead the civil engineering team.
- WSP has appointed three new starters. Bob Scott joins as a technical director. His role will be to provide expertise in identifying geotechnical requirements on projects and contracts. Roger Eames joins as team leader for intelligent transportation systems and Allan Howard joins as a technical manager for the lighting and power team.