Christine Wolff, URS
1 Wolff is the new managing director of URS Europe, replacing Mike Richards who has retired after heading up the division for the past three years.
2 With this appointment, the US based URS executive board has for the first time placed management of its European business operations into the hands of a European.
3 Wolff previously served as managing director for Continental Europe operations, where she led a staff of 700 employees in Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and Sweden
4 She will be responsible for the overall operations throughout Europe, the UK and Ireland, and the Middle East which has 1,700 employees and generates a turnover of some £126M a year.
5 Wollf joined URS' Australian operations in 1990 as a senior environmental scientist. She later relocated to Germany where she became managing director for URS Germany in 1996.
6 She has been named among the top 100 women in German business and chairs the Hamburg chapter of the Association of Women in Real Estate.
- Balfour Kilpatrick has promoted Mark Slevin from contracts manager to area manager for its Birmingham office.
- The Modern Masonry Alliance has appointment of Mike Leonard as director. He will lead the organisation, which promotes the commercial advantages of masonry construction. Leonard has over 25 years of experience in the building material sector including, twelve years with Thermalite and Marley Building Materials.
- Galliford Try Civil Engineering has appointment Jim Steele (right) as operations director for civil engineering Scotland. Steele joined in 2006 as operations manager responsible for developing its infrastructure business in Southern Scotland. He joined from Sir Robert McAlpine where he had worked for four years growing a profitable civil engineering business in Scotland.
- Buro Happold has appointed new associate director Simon Curtis to its structures team in Belfast. With over 21 years' experience, his work includes the Birmingham International Convention Centre, Astana Hospital in Kazakhstan, major campus redevelopments at a number of UK Universities and the Hadley Learning Community in Telford.
- Lifting Solutions, who supply and inspect material handling and lifting equipment, has appointed Greg Fardell as sales engineer for the Southern region. He joins from Morris Material Handling.
- John Laing has appointed David Micciche as HSES (Health, Safety, Environment and Sustainability) director taking responsibility for legal compliance, HSE performance, and the company's corporate and social responsibility agenda. He joins from Amey plc where he was responsible for the strategic development of management systems as well as advising on HSE issues in relation to PFI projects.