1 Donaldson joins from Amey where he managed the company's Transport Scotland South West Area 3G highway maintenance contract.
2 At WSP he will build and lead a civil engineering team which aims to deliver integrated environmental and engineering services to the public and private sector clients.
3 Donaldson says one of his key strengths is his enthusiastic nature. "My enthusiasm drives me to improve and develop," he says. "Taking the initiative has developed my resourcefulness and adaptability; two qualities I value considerably," he says.
4 He is also an award winning communicator and won the Tom Howie award for communication in civil engineering. He has used these skills as a bid manager, when presenting to potential clients.
5 Cycling to keep fit is one of his passions. He is also an enthusiastic builder of pagents for local charitable events.
6 Donaldson's first job was in local government, where he worked in highway management for Scottish Borders Council and then Dumfries and Galloway. This gave him nine years public sector experience before he moved into the private sector with Amey.
- The Freight Transport Association (FTA) has appointed Andy Mair as head of engineering policy. He succeeds Geoff Day, who retired earlier this year. Mair has been with the association for six years and was previously an area manager in FTA's Vehicle Inspection Service. Before joining FTA, Day worked for 14 years as a vehicle technician at a truck dealership. His remit will include building FTA's profile with government, vehicle manufacturers, oil companies and FTA members. This includes the manner in which new legislation impacts on the work of the FTA Vehicle Inspection Service.
- Civil engineering drainage products supplier Keyline, has announced the appointment of Phil Atkinson as managing director, following Arthur Davidson's appointment as divisional chairman. A civil engineer, Atkinson joins Keyline from Accord, where he spent several years as managing director of its highways division.
- Waste and secondary resource management trade association ESA has appointed Richard Skehens as its new chairman. He is managing director of Grundon Waste Management. Malcolm Ward becomes vice-chairman. He is chief executive of Cory Environmental.
- Galliford Try Infrastructure has appointed David Ianson as pre-construction director for its transport business unit. He joins from Kier Construction.
- Ramboll Whitbybird building services team has made Mark Smith a director. Smith joins the firm after five years at Gifford where he head of the London services team. Drawing on a background of contracting and environmental engineering, he has an extensive understanding of the built environment including design and installation. He has a particular knowledge of sustainability and renewables. At Ramboll Whitbybird, Smith's role is to direct the London branch of the building services group and to help drive forward the growth of the group and raise its profile within the industry.