WEMBLEY STADIUM contractor Multiplex last week missed its target deadline for practical completion of the controversial project.
In July the Australian firm said it expected to hand over the stadium to owner Wembley National Stadium (WNSL) on 30 September.
However, that deadline has passed and Multiplex is still working on site.
Client WNSL predicted that Multiplex would miss the September deadline in August.
Chief executive Michael Cunah said he estimated that Multiplex would finish its work at some point late this year.
Multiplex refused to comment directly on the missed deadline, but on Tuesday released a progress update on the project to the Australian Stock Exchange.
It stated that more than 90,000 seats had been succesfully installed, but further commissioning and cleaning work is still ongoing. This must be finished in order to achieve practical completion.
Multiplex and WNSL are in legal adjudication over a number of issues, including the contractor's claims to entitlement of extensions of time to October 2007.
Multiplex is also pursuing legal action against WNSL for 'acts and omissions' it claims are preventing it achieving practical completion.
WNSL is waiting for Mulitplex to finish on site before it moves in to install equipment such as communications systems, and runs test events before opening to the public (NCE 3 August).
It is understood that the stadium owner is carrying out some work on the project that avoids impinging on Multiplex's timetable.
The latest opening date for Wembley is June 2007.