The Commons Transport Select Committee is to investigate cycling safety after a sixth cyclist was killed in London in a fortnight.
The cyclist, who was killed in south London last Monday, was the 14th to die so far in 2013.
It equals the number killed in the whole of 2012, but is two less than the 16 cyclist deaths reported in 2011.
HGVs were involved in nine of the fatal crashes, far more than last year.
“Six cyclists have been killed in London in the last two weeks and 14 have been killed so far this year.
“These are individual tragedies for the families involved, but they also draw attention to continuing concerns about the safety of cyclists on our roads,” said committee chairman Louise Ellman.
“Many of these casualties involve large vehicles, especially HGVs, and there is now debate about whether they should be banned from city centres at peak times.
This will have consequences for businesses which need to be assessed.
“There is also debate about the behaviour of drivers and cyclists and whether more can be done to promote compliance with the law.
“Concerns have also been expressed about whether vehicle and road infrastructure could be changed to protect cyclists and whether new developments, such as London’s cycle superhighways, are safe.
“We would like to stimulate debate on all of these matters,” she said.
The committee will hear oral evidence on 2 December.