A cross party group of MPs, peers and campaigners has written an open letter to the transport secretary Patrick McLaughlin urging him to publish the Davies Commission’s report before the 2015 general election.
The report is due for publication in July 2015, two months after the next General Election. The letter argues that businesses should know sooner to help make investment decisions.
“There is unity across the political spectrum that the publication of the Davies report should be brought forward. There is support for what Sir Howard Davies is doing but a strong feeling that the electorate should know what his proposals are well before the next General Election,” said Heathrow Association for the Control of Aircraft Noise chairman John Stewart.
“Whilst we recognise the political sensitivities surrounding aviation policy, we believe that the electorate and particularly the residents of west London deserve to know what implications the Commission’s recommendations will have on their lives. Consequently, we call upon the Government to bring forward the final report of the Davies Commission to a date before the General Election in 2015 and to ask Sir Howard to lay out very clearly the direction of his thinking in his interim report at the end of this year,” says the letter.
Who signed the letter?
- Zac Goldsmith MP
- Baroness Sally Hamwee
- Baroness Susan Kramer
- Mary Macleod MP
- Seema Malhotra MP
- John McDonnell MP
- Andy Slaughter MP
- Cllr Nicholas Botterill (Leader, Hammersmith & Fulham)
- Cllr Steve Bullock (Leader, Lewisham)
- Cllr Ravi Govindia (Leader, Wandsworth)
- Cllr Jo Lovelock (Leader, Reading)
- Cllr Lib Peck (Leader, Lambeth)
- Cllr Raymond Puddifoot (Leader, Hillingdon)
- Cllr Roger Reed (Deputy Leader, South Bucks)
- Cllr Jagdish Sharma (Leader, Hounslow)
- Cllr Lord Nicholas True (Leader, Richmond)
- John Stewart (Chair HACAN)
- Christine Taylor (Vice-Chair NoTRAG)
- Peter Willan (Chair Richmond Heathrow Campaign)