The restoration of the historic Florence Institute in Liverpool will be carried out by specialist building firm William Anelay, it has been confirmed.
The building was constructed in 1889 as Britain’s first purpose-built boys’ youth club by then mayor of Liverpool Sir Bernard Hall as a memorial to his daughter Florence who died aged 22.
The restoration of the Grade II listed building will see the creation of a local community space, and a venue for small businesses.
The £4.7M upgrade will include an exhibition and performance space, activities for young people and the elderly, an indoor/outdoor sport area, childcare facilities, workspaces for local business and a Heritage Resource Centre.
York-based William Anelay, which was founded in 1747, will repair the internal and external fabric, roofing, leadwork, windows, floods and internal decorative features.
Funding for the project has been secured from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the North West Regional Development Agency.