Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Firm fined over poisoning death

A Glasgow-based security firm which pleaded guilty to breaking health and safety rules after a security guard died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a construction site has been fined £7,000.

Thomas Fraser died in a flat used by Alpha Group Security Ltd employees on the construction site at Ann Street, Burnbank, Hamilton, on February 6 2008. He was overcome by a build-up of carbon monoxide fumes from a portable petrol generator.

The 37-year-old had not been given proper instructions for the generator’s use and it was operated without appropriate ventilation, Hamilton Sheriff Court heard. Alpha admitted breaching Section 2(1), 2 and 33 (a) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

“Responsible management of risk should have ensured the safe set-up and use of the portable petrol generator in a well-ventilated area which could have avoided this unnecessary death,” said Health and Safety Executive inspector Adrian Tinson.

Clyde Valley Housing Association Ltd, which subcontracted Alpha Group Security Ltd, had admitted breaching health and safety laws at a previous hearing and was fined £70,000 in March.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.