The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO), the Ministry Of Defence’s property and services provider, has begun the process to establish how a Strategic Business Partner could work with the organisation in the future.
The decision to start procurement follows a successful market testing exercise conducted earlier this year, which sought industry’s views and feedback on potential future business models. The procurement exercise will be used to test whether bringing a strategic business partner into DIO offers the best value for money solution for the MoD.
The strategic business partner could be asked to:
- Manage DIO’s operations and staff, initially as part of DIO’s existing organisation. It is envisaged that this will include reviewing the organisational structure presently being put in place by DIO to advise on what further efficiencies can be driven from the business, what additional skills are required to deliver DIO’s strategic objectives and the options for providing those skills
- Develop and implement a strategic asset management plan to increase the utilisation of the estate, which will lead to rationalisation and commercialisation opportunities
- Further develop and implement the transformation of DIO
- Manage existing and new suppliers and other third party arrangements
- Develop contracting strategies to drive further efficiencies and deliver better value for money for the MoD across its estate
DIO was formed on 1 April 2011 when the former Defence Estates (DE) organisation was brought together with other property and infrastructure functions within the Department to form a single organisation. DIO manages the MOD’s property infrastructure and ensures strategic management of the Defence estate as a whole.