The ICE's Future Framework Implementation Team has put together a vision and mission statement for the institution and proposed objectives for the civil engineering profession.
1. To promote civil engineering as a process which begins with identifying needs and appropriate solutions, establishes viability and proceeds through design and construction, management, operation and maintenance, and finally to decommissioning.
2. To promote and deliver excellence to all members, associated professions and the public.
3. To be proactive in identifying issues of importance to society and thereby influence growing public opinion, government and non government organisations.
4. To have a major international focus and have a significant international membership.
5. To communicate to a wider public a better understanding of the role of civil engineers and the opportunities that the profession offers.
6. To embrace all those involved in civil engineering into an appropriate form of membership.
7. To encourage member participation, especially from those in mid career.
8. To operate a qualification system that recognises competence within the wide range of civil engineering activities.
9. To be an institution with which others wish to collaborate and to engage in appropriate joint ventures.
10. To be approachable and responsive to all members, associated professions and the public.
11. To achieve recognition, across the profession and amongst the public, that protection of the environment is an integral part of civil engineering.
12. To work in partnership with others wherever appropriate in order to achieve its objectives.
13. To be financially secure so all reasonable activity is pursued and adequately funded.
14. To ensure equal opportunities are adopted and maintained throughout the Institution.
Vision and Mission statements for the Institution. Approved by council in June 1998
Vision: To be the world's premier engineering institution.
Mission: To advance the knowledge and practice of civil engineering, to promote the breadth and value of the civil engineer's world wide contribution, and to embrace all members of the profession.
For a copy of the latest Future Framework Implementation Team newsletter contact Paul Wright on 44 171 665 2012, fax 44 171 976 0399, or e-mail wright_p@ice. org.uk