Both buildings date in theory, from around 1550 and once marked the corner of two medieval streets incorporated in the 19th century into the Flesh Shambles, meat market. The Old Welington's lower two storeys and roof structure are largely original, though the oak beamed box frame was altered a century later to accommodate a third storey.
By contrast, little remains of the original building next door. What is now Sinclairs Oyster Bar is a largely Victorian hotchpotch of 20th century brickwork and hidden steel frame supporting mixed heritage timber beams. It has listed status more for its importance as a rare remaining outlet for oysters than any structural claims.
Excavation work for the 1970s jacking operation revealed a cache of oyster shells beneath the Sinclair though, more curiously, they are thought to be the even older dinner remains of Roman occupiers of the site - a race known to savour shellfish.