The first stage of the Low Carbon Buildings Programme (LCBP) has been closed a month earlier than expected following the announcement of the Feed-in Tariff scheme, the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) has said.
The programme, which provided grants worth a total of £131M for microgeneration technology in houses across the country, was originally expected to stay open until the end of March this year.
It had already provided more than 14,500 grants for the manufacture, assembly, supply and installation of the technology.
When the Feed-in Tariff scheme was announced on February 1, the DECC said that no new applications for grants for electrical microgeneration would be accepted after 5pm on February 3.
The second phase of the programme, which targeted hospitals, schools and not-for-profit organisations, closed in December last year. The closure prompted solar PV manufacturers to complain about the Government’s hesitant approach to using renewable energy sources.
The DECC said the consultation on the Feed-in Tariff scheme, which was published ahead of its launch in April, made the expansion of the industry clearer.
However, the Renewable Energy Association said the only funding now available to the general public for renewable electricity would be the Feed-in Tariff scheme, following the closure of the LCBP.