The £4.5 million project, funded by the City of London Corporation, involved the cleaning and repair of the Monument’s stonework and the re-gilding of it’s famous golden orb as well as modifications to the viewing platform.
Sir Christopher Wren’s flame-topped Monument to the Great Fire of 1666 is the tallest isolated stone column in the world. Completed in 1677, The Monument stands 62m high and is positioned 62m from the spot in Pudding Lane on which the Great Fire is believed to have started.
Repairs to The Monument have been carried out approximately every hundred years, with work last undertaken in 1888.
For the latest refurbishment work, Julian Harrap Architects was the architect, Hockley and Dawson was the structural engineer with the restoration work carried out by Cathedral Works Organisation (Chichester).