Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

LDA in push to buy last 10% of Olympic land

News

A COMPULSORY purchase order (CPO) needed to guarantee ownership of the 2012 Olympic site in east London was submitted to public inquiry on Tuesday.

The London Development Agency (LDA) has secured 90% of the Olympic park, and hopes to negotiate deals with landowners to obtain the remaining 10%, said LDA director of Olympic lands Gareth Blacker.

'We hope we won't have to use CPO powers. We've negotiated the transfer of land with the largest and most problematic of the fi rms occupying the site, ' he said.

'New sites have been agreed with them. The remaining 10% of occupiers are smaller businesses which are comparatively mobile.

We'll keep negotiating with them right to the last minute - July 2007.' The Olympic CPO is the largest since the last of the major slum clearance projects of the 1960s, Blacker said.

Blacker added that the LDA is looking for rapid consent to the CPO from new Trade & Industry secretary Alistair Darling .

He said that the CPO granted last year to enable the burying of power lines that cross the site set a precedent for a swift decision.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.