A section of railway in south London is expected to reopen today after a 1,000m-long train including 18 wagons carrying sand partially derailed last Tuesday morning.
The rear two wagons derailed near Lewisham, destroying 50m of railway and part of a junction. One of the wagons had to be lifted by crane back onto the track. Network Rail said workers had to remove around 30t of sand by hand.
“Our teams have been working around the clock to rebuild the damaged section and we are on target to get commuter trains running as normal on Monday [30 January] morning. However, it’s a big job and we are advising commuters to check before they travel on Monday,” said Network Rail chief operating officer Andy Derbyshire.
Works to replace the points had been carried out in the area of the derailment two weeks prior to the incident taking place.
A Network Rail spokesperson said: “The section of railway where the Lewisham derailment took place was installed two weeks before the incident. The Rail Accident Investigation Branch is still investigating the cause of the incident. The work that has taken place in the vicinity of the incident in the past two weeks has not been to replace any track, but just to bed in the new.”