Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Storm Desmond | 3,000 buildings without power

ENERGY APP BLUE

More than 50,000 properties lost power on Saturday night when water topped flood defences at Lancaster’s main substation.

Electricity North West said engineers had been battling the damage caused by Storm Desmond since it became safe to do so on Sunday morning.

Almost 3,000 buildings remained without power across Cumbria on Monday morning.

Electricity North West operations director Mark Williamson said: “Our engineers have done an incredible job and worked around the clock to restore supplies to almost 55,000 customers in Lancaster.

“All customers have been restored from our main substation, but 300 customers in the surrounding area are still without power due to localised flooding.

“While we still have a significant amount of work to do to fully repair the substation we are still on site to repair the damage.

“I’d like to thank customers for their understanding and their goodwill to our teams during what continues to be an enormously challenging time for everyone involved. We are immensely proud of the area and the people we serve in the way they have dealt with this incident.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.