Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

PM 'committed' to Moorside nuclear deal

sb

Prime minister Theresa May has said the government is “committed” to the deal to construct a new nuclear power station at Moorside in West Cumbria.

May’s statement came after Japanese firm Toshiba, one of the companies involved in the project said it was reviewing its nuclear power business outside Japan. The review follows the discovery of unexpected costs relating to an acquisition made by one of its companies, Westinghouse Electric Company.

The proposed 3.8GW Moorside power station is being developed by NuGen, in which Toshiba is a 60% shareholder, with the remaining 40% owned by Engie. The nuclear reactor technology provider is Westinghouse.

There are rumours South Korean energy firm Kepco is considering investing in the project.

At prime minister’s Questions yesterday, Barrow & Furness MP John Woodcock asked: “The news revealed yesterday that Toshiba is reviewing its investment in the Moorside nuclear power plant, which puts a huge question mark over not only 21,000 jobs in Cumbria but the future of our nation’s energy security. What will the prime minister do personally to ensure that the deal stays on track?”

May replied: “Both the business secretary and I have involvement in a number of deals and possible deals around the nuclear industry. We are keen to ensure that those jobs are brought to the United Kingdom and that such deals are kept on track. I assure him of the government’s commitment.”

A statement from NuGen said: “NuGen’s shareholders, (Toshiba and Engie) are committed to the development of the Moorside Project.”

One of the associated projects with Moorside is a £2.8bn National Grid plan to connect the plant to the grid.

Amec Foster Wheeler is currently undertaking environmental impact modelling and assessment to support a development consent order and environmental permit application in 2017.

Toshiba refused to comment on the Kepco speculation.

 

Tags

Readers' comments (1)

  • Yet another disaster waiting to happen. Nukes just don't cut it commercially, morally or economically. Westinghouse just went bust. Every company will go bust rather than stick around and clear up their old nukes. British Energy went bust for that reason. Common sense for business to go that route. The only reason EDF is still going is because it is publically owned.
    Even if May is right on the call for the election, I'm not voting for her because of this nonsense. :(

    Unsuitable or offensive? Report this comment

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.