Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

New York gets new crane safety rules

new york skyline 2015

Wind-related restrictions have been placed on the use of certain cranes in New York following a fatal incident last week.

City mayor Bill de Blasio said that whenever steady winds were forecast to exceed 20mph – or gusts were forecast to exceed 30mph – crawler cranes would have to cease operation.

It followed the death of 38-year-old David Wichs when a crane collapsed in the Tribeca neighbourhood on Friday 5 February.

“We’ll send advisories to crane engineers when wind conditions warrant it, and engineers will be required to certify that they will indeed cease operations,” said de Blasio of his new measures.

“If we don’t receive this certification, we will be issuing violations and we will raise the base penalty for failure to safeguard a site from the current $4,800 (£3,300) to $10,000.”

Other measures announced by de Blasio included increased enforcement of pedestrian protection and requirements to notify local people when a crane was being put into a secure position.

A task force has also been announced to propose further regulations and practices in light of the collapse last week.

 

 

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.