The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) has awarded the final contract for the construction of the Basketball Arena to Northern Irish contractor McAvoy, who will provide modular temporary accommodation at the venue.
The company has been contracted to provide the modular accommodation for the Arena, including temporary offices, athletes’ changing rooms, as well as press and media accommodation.
The Basketball Arena is being built by companies from at least nine regions across the UK. McAvoy’s contract is the final one to be awarded for the venue.
McAvoy specialises in off-site construction, manufacturing steel and timber framed modular buildings.
“The Basketball Arena is an excellent example of how the Games are providing business opportunities across the whole of the UK.”
John Armitt, Olympic Delivery Authority
ODA chairman John Armitt said: “The Basketball Arena is an excellent example of how the Games are providing business opportunities across the whole of the UK, with contractors from Northern Ireland to the South East working together to build the fourth largest venue on the Park.
“There are still golden opportunities up for grabs through the UK-wide supply chains, so companies should sign up to CompeteFor to be part of a unique opportunity to showcase UK plc to the world.”
The companies who have won contracts for the Basketball Arena include:
- Scotland – Barr Construction in Glasgow are building the structure;
- West Midlands – Slick Seating in Redditch are providing the temporary seating;
- South West – Base from Bristol are providing the membrane cladding for the outside of the Arena;
- South East – Envirowrap from Tenterden in Kent are providing the wrapping for the seats;
- London – UnitedVisualArtists in Borough are designing the external lighting for the arena;
- Northern Ireland – McAvoy from Dungannon are building the temporary accommodation,
- East – A company from Hertfordshire will be fitting out the Arena;
- North West – Watsons in Bolton are providing the steel; and
- Yorkshire – Fullflow Group Ltd in Sheffield are a sub-contractor to Barr Construction and will be installing the syphonic drainage.