The ICE is looking for engineers and projects which could be featured on television. It will use these ideas during regular meetings between the Institution’s media team and TV production companies.
The aim is to increase public awareness of civil engineering and attract the next generation of civil engineers to the profession.
The media team shares ideas about upcoming projects that could demonstrate what a civil engineer does and show their importance to society, in a unique or visually interesting way.
In the past, this has led to the ICE and its members contributing to or shaping many programmes and documentaries on civil engineering - from BBC2’s Built in Britain, presented by Evan Davies and BBC4’s Unbuilt Britain: Dreaming the impossible - right through to series celebrating our engineering heritage such as BBC2’s Great Railway Journeys.
The ICE has suggested current civil engineering projects which could be featured on BBC1’s The One Show. It regularly puts forward ICE members as potential presenters for engineering programmes being pitched by production companies.
The ICE wants members to share information on any projects they or their companies will be working on from March 2014 to March 2015 for possible inclusion in a TV programme or series.
The Institution is are looking for:
- Upcoming visually stimulating milestones on ongoing larger scale projects (e.g. a demolition)
- Upcoming unusual/unique or particularly challenging projects
- Young civil engineers due to embark on an unusual or challenging project overseas
- Upcoming projects that are using unique/visually stimulating engineering methods or technology
- Groups of young members who are working on one project together
- Groups of young members who are going to a disaster relief/community rebuild project.
Please send ideas, supporting information and key dates to firstname.lastname@example.org. If a production company is interested in finding out more, the ICE press office will get in touch you with and your press office first, before passing on any contact details.