Up to three more design contracts on London’s £15.9bn Crossrail scheme are expected to be let tomorrow, NCE can reveal.
There are around 10 design deals still to be awarded, with eight having already been awarded in the last two months. Crossrail said this week that it was aiming to announce the final deals in two or three groups, starting this week.
Contracts already awarded have gone to Arup, Atkins, Capita Symonds, Mott MacDonald and Scott Wilson. Atkins has been most successful, picking up three contracts, two of which are in joint venture with Arup. Mott MacDonald and Scott Wilson have two each.
Packages so far let
- Package C100 − Architectural Component Design: Atkins
- Package C121 − Sprayed Concrete Lining: Mott MacDonald £9M
- Package C122 − Bored Tunnels: Atkins/Arup joint venture £17M
- Package C124 − Tunnels and Shafts Aerodynamics and Ventilation: Mott MacDonald
- Package C134 − Tottenham Court Road Station: Atkins/Arup JV
- Package C136 − Farringdon Station Design: Scott Wilson
- Package C150 − Royal Oak Portal: Capita Symonds £3M
- Package C152 − Pudding Mill Lane Portal: Scott Wilson
Contracts yet to be let include stations at Bond Street, Liverpool Street, Paddington and Whitechapel and railway systems design.
Under the Crossrail Design Framework Agreements (DFAs), selected firms for the seven design categories have the opportunity to compete for packages of design work on the project.
The DFAs replaced the four multidisciplinary design consultancy (MDC) contracts awarded in Spring 2006 that were later scrapped.
The MDCs were held by Scott Wilson, an Arup/Atkins joint venture, Mott MacDonald and Halcrow. All except Halcrow have won detailed design work, with Halcrow now part of Bechtel’s project delivery partner team.
Capita Symonds is the only firm to have won detailed design work that was not previously involved on the MDC contracts.
Firms on the DFA yet to win work are Aedas Group, BDP, Hyder Consulting, Jacobs Engineering, Parsons Brinckerhoff and WSP.
- May 2009 Canary Wharf
- July 2009 Commercial director appointed
- Early 2010 Tottenham Court Rd (East)
- Mid 2010 Bond Street
- Late 2010 Woolwich
- Early 2011 Farringdon, Paddington, Whitchapel
- Mid 2011 Tottenham Court Rd (West)
- Late 2011 Liverpool Street
- Late 2012 Custom House