Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Jarvis Potters Bar charge dropped

A health and safety charge against rail maintenance company Jarvis over the 2002 Potters Bar train crash has been dropped.

Six passengers and a pedestrian were killed in the Hertfordshire crash when a London to Kings Lynn train derailed over a faulty set of points.

Last November, the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR) brought a charge under the Health and Safety at Work Act against Jarvis, which was the maintenance contractor at Potters Bar at the time and which is now in administration.

Today, the ORR said: “While there remains sufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction of Jarvis, a prosecution would no longer be in the public interest.”

Overall responsibility for rail maintenance at the time of the crash on May 10 2002 lay with Railtrack, which was replaced by Network Rail later in 2002.

When charging Jarvis last autumn, the ORR also bought a similar charge against Network Rail, which pleaded guilty to the charge at Watford Magistrates’ Court last month.

The next hearing of the proceedings against Network Rail will take place at St Albans Crown Court on March 30, when a provisional date for the sentencing of Network Rail should be set.

Giving reasons for its decision not to proceed with the prosecution of Jarvis, the ORR said there were a number of factors, including that continuing proceedings against Jarvis would mean that any trial would be of Jarvis alone, and that a trial of Jarvis alone would be lengthy, costly, and if convicted lead to only a small financial penalty and delay the conclusion of the proceedings against Network Rail.

The ORR also stated that members of the victims’ families expressed the view that there was little value in continuing the prosecution.

One of those killed in the crash was Austen Kark, 75, who was travelling with his wife, author Nina Bawden, now 86, who was badly injured.

Their daughter Perdita Kark said today: “It’s an appalling thing for the families involved that this has all taken so long.

“We have had to battle and battle and battle to get this far. Jarvis effectively no longer exists.”

She went on: “What’s important now is that Network Rail ensures the railways are as safe as they can be.

“Since Potters Bar there have been some areas in which safety has improved but there is more to be done.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.