Sources close to the United Arab Emirate’s £7bn federal railway project, being developed by Etihad Rail, say a predominantly Italian consortium is favourite to win the civil engineering deal for the first phase of the project, according to NCE sister title MEED.
The consortium is led by contractor Saipem and includes contractor Tecnimont and Indian contractor Dodsal Group, is said to be “the lowest bidder by far”, according to a source close to the group.
The civil engineering contract is the first major construction deal that will be awarded. The estimated £351M civil engineering contract includes civil structures, systems, facilities and track work.
On 20 September, Etihad Rail said that it would award the civil engineering contract in “the next few weeks”.
- Al-Habtoor Leighton (local/Australia)/John Holland (Australia)
- Astaldi (Italy)/Nurol (Turkey)
- Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC) (Athens-based)/OHL (Spain)
- Ircon International (India)/Railtrack India
- Samsung C&T (South Korea)/Impregilo (Italy)/Tristar (local)
- Al-Jaber Group (local)/China Railway Construction Company (China)
- Saipem (Italy)/Tecnimont (Italy)/Dodsal (India)
- Saif bin Darwish (local)/Al-Futtaim Carillion (local/UK)
- Fujita Corporation (Japan)/Sagar Infra Rail International (Siril) (India)
- GS Engineering & Construction (South Korea)/Al-Naboodah Contracting (local)
- Saudi Binladin Group