Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

In the papers - Monday, 14 April 2008

Plans for new trains on Inter City routes are in disarray after the withdrawal of a consortium of Alstom Transport and Barclays Private Equity from bidding to supply between 500 and 2000 carriages...

...The two remaining contenders have now demanded more time to submit tenders, moving the deadline from 7 May to 30 June. They are the Express Rail Alliance of Bombardier and Siemens, and Hitachi - The Financial Times

One of the world's most beautiful footpaths - the Via Krupp in in the island of Capri - is to re-open after 30 years. The path, cut into a vertical cliff in the 1902 by Friedrich Krupp, the German munitions baron, has been closed since a landslide in 1976 - The Daily Telegraph

Heathrow's owner, BAA, is braced for further criticism of its handling of the Terminal 5 debacle this week at a crisis summit for airlines whose expansion plans have been thrown into disarray by last month's disruption. The airport group was slammed by its second-largest Heathrow customer last week when it agreed to let British Airways delay its full transfer from Terminal 4 to T5 by at least a month - The Guardian

Tesco has made false claims about the source of the green fuel sold at its service stations, according to an investigation that found that the chain sold one of the most environmentally damaging types of biodiesel. An investigation by Greenpeace found that 30% of the biofuel in Tesco diesel came from palm oil. The remaining 70% of the biofuel was from soya more sustainable than palm oil but linked to concerns about global food prices as fuel companies outbid other buyers.A litre of Tesco diesel typically contains 5% biofuel - The Times

The nuclear industry in Britain is killing billions of fish every year and taking a devastating toll of stocks, an Oxford University academic suggests. The impact can be so severe in the worst-affected regions of the seas around Britain that death rates are equivalent to half the commercial catch for some species. Coastal power plants that have cooling systems that extract water from the sea are to blame for the destruction, according to Peter Henderson, an environmental researcher - The Times

Japan is celebrating a groundbreaking science experiment in the Arctic permafrost that may eventually reshape the country's fragile economy and Tokyo's relationships with the outside world. For an unprecedented six straight days, a state-backed drilling company has managed to extract industrial quantities of natural gas from underground sources of methane hydrate - a form of gas-rich ice once thought to exist only on the moons of Saturn. In fact, the seabeds around the Japanese coast turn out to conceal massive deposits of the elusive sorbet-like compound in their depths, and a country that has long assumed it had virtually no fossil fuels could now be sitting on energy reserves containing 100 years' fuel - The Times

An American-Japanese consortium has emerged as a surprise rival to British Energy in the race to build a new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK. EnergySolutions, a nuclear services company based in Salt Lake City, Utah, is working on a plan to build and operate a new nuclear reactor at Wylfa on Anglesey, The Times has learnt. It has teamed up with Toshiba-Westinghouse, the Japanese-owned supplier of nuclear reactor technology. They have held talks with several European and British utilities companies about forming a separate new-build consortium to the one involving British Energy - The Times

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Please note comments made online may also be published in the print edition of New Civil Engineer. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.